NextGen SCADA Europe 2013
January 18, 2013 - NextGen SCADA Europe 2013 gathers 100+ electric utility SCADA professionals to discuss advanced SCADA system requirements to support the evolving smart grid
A survey of 30 European electric utilities conducted by Phoenix Forums reveals that SCADA systems are now a major area for utility investment. The consensus amongst survey participants is that as smart grid deployments gain momentum SCADA systems and processes must be upgraded and integrated to ensure optimal gird performance and security.
“It is clear that many European utilities are poised to make significant investments in implementing next generation SCADA systems that will fully support the evolving smart grid” says Mandana White, Programme Director at Phoenix Forums, producers of NextGen SCADA Europe 2013. “However, they are finding the plethora of new SCADA products and components, system architectures, interface options, and security solutions daunting. And with uncertainty around what the future smart grid will actually look like, creating a SCADA infrastructure that can effectively support the changing grid is no easy task.”
NextGen SCADA Europe 2013 takes place 21-22 March in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, and was created in consultation with the utilities themselves, to ensure a tight fit with their SCADA information and solution needs. Over the two days, 12 leading European utilities including E.ON, EDP, ERDF, ENEL, Alliander, Enexis, Stedin, and Fortum amongst others, will present practical case studies, based on lessons learnt in their actual implementations of next generation SCADA systems.
A technology innovation panel featuring presentations from tech leaders ABB, Siemens, Telvent, GE Energy and Alcatel Lucent, will highlight the SCADA innovation pipeline of the major players. A 2- hour Security workshop will be given by DNV KEMA providing direction on emerging cyber security risks, solutions, policies and procedures. An evening champagne roundtable session will provide a practical framework for real-life problem solving and brainstorming with the entire SCADA ecosystem. All of this will be complemented by an adjoining exhibition area where delegates can view state of the art SCADA products and solutions.
“We believe we have created the perfect benchmarking, buying and networking forum for anyone seriously involved in investigating, implementing or operating a next generation SCADA system for the smart grid”.
Aurélio Blanquet, Director of Automation at Portuguese DSO EDP Distribuição, will give the opening address at the conference. Mr Blanquet commented: “As the Portuguese DSO we have gone through many integration challenges and learnt some valuable lessons. We have gone from operating more than 20 standalone SCADA systems to achieving a fully integrated infrastructure with a disaster recovery centralised dispatch centre that oversees over 8,000 Km of HV lines, more than 400 HV/MV primary substations and a 80,000 km MV network feeding more than 60.000 MV/LV secondary substations. Increasing remote operations, highly ICT dependent and with an O&M outsourcing strategy, we now have a flexible, scalable, and cyber secure SCADA infrastructure that is fully integrated with the corporate GIS and several other OT systems. We are in the process of introducing advanced features such as real-time load flow, state estimation and smart alarm management to radically improve our operational efficiency and leverage future smart grid challenges such as Active Distribution System trends. I look forward to sharing our experiences and ideas with the industry at NextGen SCADA Europe.”
Maurice Adriaensen, Director Intelligent Networks and Communications at DNV KEMA, who will lead the Security workshop comments: “This is the only event in Europe focusing specifically on SCADA EMS/DSM trends and developments. I have very high expectations of it and am looking forward to the discussions and sharing of ideas and lessons learnt”.
Topics that will be discussed include:
- Achieving system integration – of SCADA with GIS, DMS, OMS, and AMI amongst others, to support the rapid transfer and use of engineering data across the wider organisation
- Implementing robust communication networks – utilising wired, wireless and satellite technologies to achieve cost-effective, high-bandwidth, real-time communication between SCADA systems and components
- Driving multi-vendor interoperability – applying IEC 61850 and other protocols to achieve cost-effective interworking of multiple vendors’ equipment
- Optimising control rooms – leveraging the latest technologies, architectures, and user interfaces to ensure ease of operator use and rapid decision making
- Leveraging advanced HMI for the mobile workforce – designing appropriate user interfaces to support a more mobile operations and maintenance workforce utilising tablets, smartphones and other mobile devices on the go
- Achieving end-to-end SCADA security – selecting the right embedded and bolt-on solutions, devising robust policies and driving through effective procedures, to address every system vulnerability in the fight against future cyber-attacks
Speaker highlights include:
- Aurélio Blanquet, Director of Automation - EDP Distribuição (Portugal)
- Uwe Fischer, Head of Asset Information Systems – E.ON (Germany)
- Stefan Rebner, Head of Development, Network Operations – Fortum Distribution (Finland)
- Florent Cardolaccia, Grid Enhancement Engineer – ERDF (France)
- Laura Pimpinella, Control Systems and Automation Engineer – ENEL Distribuzione (Italy)
- Ivan Theunissen, Programme Manager – Enexis (Netherlands)
- Erwin Kooi, Information Security Manager – Alliander (Netherlands)
- Lhoussain Lhassani, Senior Asset Manager – Stedin (Netherlands)
- Lars Henrik Hansen, Senior Engineer – DONG Energy (Denmark)
- Antti Koto, Development Specialist, IT – Elenia (Finland)
- John Caruana, Manager, Network Maintenance – Enemalta Corporation (Malta)
- Derek Hynes, Manager, Operations Policy & Safety – ESB Networks (Ireland)
Event dates and location: Conference: 21-22 March 2013 Location: Holiday Inn Amsterdam, Netherlands
Phoenix Forums is an independent conference producer specialised in the Energy and Environment sectors. We work hand in hand with engineering professionals to create innovative event concepts and high quality programmes that inform technical decision makers and enable them to deliver exceptional results. Our approach is entirely market led. We stay exceptionally close to industry developments. Through our regular, rigorous and unbiased process of depth interviews with key utilities, power producers, regulators, investors and solution providers we stay one step ahead of industry developments and provide live event platforms that act as a catalyst for new ideas, new directions, and new approaches to achieving future energy security.
MORE EVENT NEWS
ABB announces Food & Beverage day at ABB Customer World in March
The event will run from 08:30–17:00 on March 14, 2017. The day will be divided into five presentations, with topics from improving productivity...
Fluke's 279 FC thermal multimeter wins Control Engineering Engineers' Choice Award
The 279 FC Thermal Multimeter is a test tool designed to integrate an RMS digital multimeter with a thermal camera in one device to speed...
HARTING to introduce integrated connectivity solutions at Hannover Messe
HARTING ix Industrial, HARTING T1 Industrial and M8 D-coded are three of these miniaturised connectivity solutions for the industry of the future.
Association for Manufacturing Technology announces MFG Meeting 2017
Keynote speakers for the March 22-25 event include tech entrepreneur Josh Linkner, Philadelphia Eagles long snapper Jon Dorenbos and AMT President...
Red Lion Controls and Distec to host Smart Factory Day
The March 28 event, which will be held at the De Vere Cranage Estate in Cheshire, is designed to give plant managers an overview of the benefits of...
CIMdata releases eBook on capital project success for EPCs
This eBook presents CIMdata's perspective on the use of open standards, notably ISO 15926, to improve interoperability, and the application of...
Veracity announces participation in cybersecurity effort for US Department of Energy
The team, which includes engineers from Veracity, Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. (SEL) and Sempra Renewables, will focus on developing...
Yokogawa announces strategic alliance with eSimulation
The alliance is intended to expand the advanced automation solution portfolios of both companies to bring enhanced value to the North American oil...
Elipse provides remote monitoring for Vietnamese electric company
Thanks to Elipse Software’s solution, EVNNPC can now access remotely the data from switches, fire alarm systems, meters, relays, transformers,...
ISA Director: Oil & Gas facilities must take action now to protect against cyberattack
Patrick J. Gouhin, speaking at a Bloomberg LIVE conference in Houston, Texas on the future of cybersecurity in the US oil and gas sector, urged...