INDUSTRY The latest news in Automation technology for professionals in the Automation industry
MEMS pressure sensor market is growing
GO TO WEBSITE FOR MORE INFORMATION
March 27, 2013 – After years of limited growth, the MEMS pressure sensor market is growing due to consumer electronic applications and is expected to show a 22% CAGR. Pressure sensors are playing an important role today in modern industries. MEMS pressure sensor is already widely adopted in different applications for its high-performance, low cost and small size.
In its new report MEMS Pressure Sensor, Yole Développement gives a detailed overview of the MEMS pressure sensor markets, technologies and players. This report details the main applications in automotive, consumer, medical, industrial and high-end segment, and the main players in the industry. It also analyses the current pressure sensor technologies including MEMS technologies, and gives a detailed MEMS pressure sensor market forecast by application.
MEMS pressure sensor is one of the very first MEMS components appearing in the microsystem world. The technologies are quite mature and the market is big and expected to grow from $1.9B in 2012 to $3B in 2018. “MEMS pressure sensor for consumer applications, especially for smartphones and tablets, is following the model of accelerometers and gyroscopes. Adoption of this model will help the MEMS pressure sensor market to boom again! We believe, this huge opportunity will result in the global volume of the MEMS pressure sensor market hitting 2.8 billion units by 2018” announces Wenbin Ding, Technology & Market Analyst, MEMS Devices & Technologies at Yole Développement.”Consumer pressure sensor will represent 1.7 billion units and will overtake automotive as the market leader in volume!”, she adds. Even though the consumer application has a much lower ASP than other applications, this promising segment will bring more than 8% CAGR to the global MEMS pressure sensor market. Yole Développement carefully watches this market. This report has consolidated market data for 2012 and provides forecasts until 2018.
In this report, Yole Développement provides a global overview of the current MEMS pressure sensor technologies, market and competitive landscape. The covered industries in the MEMS pressure sensor 2013 report are automotive, industrial, medical applications, consumer electronics and high-end (aeronautic, military, defense) applications.
For each of the above, Yole Développement’s report gives a market description, examples of the main applications, current market data and forecasts, the main device manufacturers and examples of products.
Automotive applications are still dominating the MEMS pressure sensor market. TPMS, MAP and BAP will be the biggest sub applications in this field. Automotive, medical, industrial and high-end markets are growing 4% to 7% however the consumer market is growing 25% in value (38% in volume) because of new opportunities in smartphones and tablets.
MEMS pressure sensor finds new applications in each domain, for example: in-cylinder pressure sensing for automotive, CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) machine for medical use, smartphone (Samsung Galaxy Slll for indoor navigation) and tablets for consumer electronics industry, etc. All these emerging applications are still in their infancy, but they appear promising and Yole Développement’s analysts believe MEMS pressure sensor will find new ways to satisfy end users in each domain.
MEMS technologies are still gaining market share compared to other classic technologies
MEMS pressure sensors are showing advantages compared to other current technologies, such as ceramic thick-film, ceramic capacitive and thin-film technologies. In this report, you’ll read about a wide variety of pressure sensor technologies and how they are used in a broad range of applications. Yole Développement has carried out an in-depth analysis of the applicable range of technologies and classified them based on the requirements of the major applications. Read how the increasing need for low cost, low power consumption and high accuracy in low pressure range sensors, drives MEMS pressure sensor development. Learn which applications have rising demand as the MEMS pressure sensor market grows from $1.9 billion in 2012 to $3 billion by 2018.
Technologies like thin-film are still needed for use in harsh environments, particularly with high temperatures and corrosive medias. MEMS pressure sensor manufacturers are also working on components which could be used in these environments. The status of SiC MEMS pressure sensor development is also described in the report.
Yole Développement analysis provides an overview of other existing pressure sensor technologies. Comparisons of different MEMS technologies are done in order to better understand the positioning of MEMS pressure sensors in the global market.
Fragmented market with more than 50 players involved
Since the MEMS pressure sensor market is huge, Yole Développement is not surprised to see a large number of players in this industry. It is one of the most fragmented markets.
More than 50 worldwide players are involved. The top 5 players (Bosch, Denso, Sensata, GE Sensing and Freescale) represent about 50% of the total market. Automotive, medical, industrial, and high-end markets already have their mature leaders and smaller companies following. The consumer electronics market is still emerging with some conventional MEMS sensor companies interested.
The report also includes a focus on the competition in the automotive market. Lots of companies are targeting this industry. Bosch has always dominated this sector. The supply chain of the automotive industry is complicated with different types of players: Car Manufacturers, Tier1 Automotive Part & Systems Suppliers (related to Pressure Sensors), Full Package Sensors Specialists and MEMS & Semiconductor Specialists. This section of the report includes a detailed description at each level of the value chain and gives an in-depth supply chain analysis for the automotive market.
With new opportunities appearing in consumer electronics, new comers from the USA and China are targeting this segment. Yole Développement also follows the activities of some new Chinese challengers. Local Chinese companies are making an effort to try and fulfill the huge domestic demand in automotive and consumer applications.
About the report “MEMS Pressure Sensor”
• Author: Wenbin Ding is responsible for MEMS market research at Yole Développement. She previously worked at research enter CEA, Grenoble France. She holds a Microelectronics Engineering degree from the National Engineering School in Caen, plus a Master Degree in Business Administration from IAE Caen, France.
• Catalogue price: Euros 5,990.00 (multi user license) - Publication date: April 2013. For special offers and the price in dollars, please contact David Jourdan
• Companies cited in the report: A and D, Airbus, Acuity, ALPS, Analog Devices, Baoji Hengtong Electronics, BD sensors, BERU, Beijing Nokisens, Beijing Realwill, Beijing Zhongkemingwei Technology, BMW, Bosch, British Lasik and Cosmetic Surgery Center, Carrier, Consensic, Continental, Denso, Dephi, E2V, EFE sensor, Elmos, Emerson, Endevco/Meggitt, EnTire, Epson Toyocom, Fairchild, Faurecia, First MEMS, First Sensor, Fitbit, Freescale Semiconductors, Fuji Electric, Fujitsu, GE Healthcare, GE Sensing, Goodman, Google, Hella, Hitachi, Honeywell, HP, HTS, Infineon, ISSYS, JCAP, Johns Hopkins University, Johnson Controls, Kavlico, Keller, Kistler, Kulite, Kyocera, LDL Technology, Lenovo, Measurement Specialties, Melexis, MEMSCAP, MEMSensing, MEMS laboratory, Merit Sensors, Metallux, Metrodyne, Microlife, Micro Sensor, Miller, Motorola, Murata, Nanjing Gaohua Technology, Nano-MEMS, NASA Blenn Research Center, National Semiconductor, NovaSensor, Omron, Panasonic, Pasific, Pratt, ResMed, Sagem, Samsung, Schrader, Silex microsystems, Rolls Royce, SBMT (Society for Biomedical Technology), Sensata Technologies, Sensirion, Sensonor, SensorTechnics, Shuangqiao Sensor, Siemens, Silicon Microstructures, Shanghai Lingsheng Instrument, Shanghai Sino Sensor, Shanxi Qinming Electronics, Shenzhen Cooperate sensors & instrument, SHR Automation Technology, Sienna Technologies, Silicon Microstructure, SIMST, SmarTire, SMIC, Strain Measurement Devices, St Jude, ST Microelectronics, Snecma, TI, TDK-EPC, Thales, Trafag, Trane, Tronics, TRW, University of Berlin, UCLA, University of California Berkeley, University of Oslo, Vaisala, Valeo, Wika, ZF…
About Yole Développement
Founded in 1998, Yole Développement has grown to become a group of companies providing marketing, technology and strategy consulting, media in addition to corporate finance services. With a strong focus on emerging applications using silicon and/or micro manufacturing, Yole Développement group has expanded to include more than 50 associates worldwide covering MEMS, Compound Semiconductors, LED, Image Sensors, Optoelectronics, Microfluidics & Medical, Photovoltaics, Advanced Packaging, Nanomaterials and Power Electronics. The group supports industrial companies, investors and R&D organizations worldwide to help them understand markets and follow technology trends to develop their business
- ISA to develop Mission-Critical Professional certification program
- Eplan adds products to Rockwell Automation Encompass program
- FANUC merges it all together
- October manufacturing technology orders up 10.2%
- Medium Voltage Drive sales still up
- Franklin Control Systems signs Lynxspring as distributor
- American Midstream installs FLOWCAL software
- FMC Technologies uses metrology system to check CNC machines
- ABB creates SMART robot education package
- Siemens Introduces Managed Security Service
- ASM publishes 2nd Edition of HMI Design Guidelines
- Strothmann to automate tandem press line in China
- AVEVA supplies Everything3D design software to EMS-CHEMIE
- Fieldbus Foundation updates Foundation Fieldbus Technical Specifications
- Metso to control Electric Power Plants in Buryatia
- Northeast Coating Technologies uses datalogger to monitor Surface Treatment
- Cyber Security Lessons from a Military Leader
- Developers of Dream Report come out of hiding