PRODUCTS The latest news in Automation technology for professionals in the Automation industry
August 29, 2012 – Beckhoff Automation introduced the CX2000 Embedded PC series. The CX2030 and CX2040 Embedded PCs implement powerful multi-core processors. With this boost in performance, these embedded controllers cover performance areas previously reserved for larger, cabinet-mounted Industrial PCs including advanced multi-axis machinery and powerful graphical user interfaces.
The multi-core enabled CX2000 represents the second generation of the Beckhoff Embedded PC family; the first generation has been very succesful with over 150,000 shipped units. The new CX2000 devices are equipped with Intel processors from the second generation of the 32-nm series (“Sandy Bridge“). Power-saving Celeron variants are also available, making fanless options possible.
The Embedded PCs’ operating systems benefit from the fast, integrated graphic core as well as faster DDR3 memory. The first three devices from the new CX2000 series include the following:
1. CX2020 | 2nd Generation Intel Celeron @1.4 GHz, single-core
2. CX2030 | 2nd Generation Intel Core i7 @1.5 GHz, dual-core
3. CX2040 | 2nd Generation Intel Core i7 @2.1 GHz, quad-core
The CX2000 housing concept combines a metallic basic housing with front panels made of a special screening plastic and can handle environments with temperatures ranging from -25 to +60 °C.
The basic CPU module from the new CX series always has one DVI port, four USB ports and two independent Ethernet ports. A factory-configurable internal slot referred to as a ‘magic interface’ can optionally perform the functions of an astoundingly wide range of interfaces. Fieldbus master and slave implementations are possible here, e.g. for EtherCAT (slave), PROFINET, EtherNet/IP, PROFIBUS, CANopen and DeviceNet, as well as serial interfaces (RS232/RS422/RS485).
PCI-Express enhances connectivity options
The modularity of the CX2000 devices on the left-hand side of the CPU is based on PCI Express as the bus system and offers a bandwidth of 5 gigatransfers per second (GT/s) per PCIe TX/RX channel. This enables the connection of a variety of interfaces; for example, a maximum of four modules each with two independent 1 Gbit Ethernet ports can be connected. Alternately, up to eight serial interfaces can be connected, which are each implemented in pairs as RS232 or RS422/RS485. The number of possible USB interfaces can also be multiplied: four high-speed (480 MB/s) USB 2.0 interfaces can be connected per module.
The basic concept of the Embedded PC is a convergence of standard PC technology with “DIN rail-friendly” design to form a flexible industrial controller. On the hardware side, the devices from the CX2000 series offer I/O support and a direct connection for Beckhoff Bus Terminals and EtherCAT Terminals. Another newly added feature is automatic recognition of the respective I/O system (EtherCAT Terminals or Bus Terminals) in the CX2000 power supply module, which can simplify customer orders and installation. On the software side, the new CX generation also continues the exclusive support of Microsoft operating systems in the form of Windows Embedded Standard 7 or Windows 8, depending upon availability.
Beckhoff Automation provides advanced, open automation products based upon proven technologies so that customers can implement high performance control systems faster and at a lower overall cost than traditional PLC and motion control systems. Beckhoff’s “New Automation Technology” product range includes PC based control, industrial PCs, automation controllers, operator interface, I/O, servo drives and motors. With representation in more than 60 countries, Beckhoff is well positioned to provide global sales and service to its customers. Beckhoff sales and service are handled directly, with no intermediaries involved for exceptional customer service and consultation.
- AutomationDirect adds small NEMA motor stepper gearboxes
- Measurement Computing Corporation announces high-speed, USB data acquisition board with simultaneous sampling
- Los Gatos Research launches portable natural gas leak detection analyzers
- Balluff presents robust RFID data carrier with extra-large memory
- HARTING adds outdoor versions of popular Han-Yellock, Han-Eco connectors
- Protection for moving cables: igus RX tube proves itself in real conditions
- Developers of Dream Report come out of hiding
- Integrated automation controls rail straightening machine
- Leveraging Mainstream PCI Express Advances in Embedded Systems
- Drive up to Four Independent Full HD Displays from a Single CPU Module
- Smart Panel Technology: Intelligent Control Solutions Offer Both Flexibility and Reliability
- ADCs in SoCs – Just a placeholder or a vital subsection?
- Inline Code in C and C++
- Protecting your low voltage electronic devices from electrical overstress
- Unlock the processing power of wireless modules
- The business case for the Internet of Things
- Building trust in the Internet of Things
- Microchip releases free Embedded Firmware Development Framework