CASE STUDIES The latest news in Automation technology for professionals in the Automation industry
Emerson controls Gladstone LNG project in Australia
GO TO WEBSITE FOR MORE INFORMATION
July 8, 2013 - Australian oil and gas leader Santos uses process automation technology from Emerson Process Management, a global business of Emerson (EMR:NYSE), to coordinate and enhance operations across its US$18.5 billion Gladstone Liquefied Natural Gas project in Queensland, Australia. Emerson served as Main Automation Contractor for the project, providing technologies and expertise to help Santos gather and integrate real-time information from thousands of wells.
The pioneering project will convert coal seam gas to liquefied natural gas (LNG) for export to global markets. Gas from the Bowen and Surat Basins in eastern Queensland will be transported by a 420 kilometer underground pipeline to an LNG plant on Curtis Island, near Gladstone on the coast. Santos’ operations center at Brisbane, approximately 500 kilometers south of Gladstone, integrates data from the gas fields, pipelines and plant for 24/7 real-time monitoring and collaboration with teams in the field.
"We have developed a world-class remote operation center," said Santos general manager of operations Rob Simpson. "The center has changed the way our gas fields in the Bowen and Surat Basins are operated. Emerson’s team brought the process automation expertise we needed to meet global standards, and their solutions have equipped us with the ability to centrally monitor the production and progress of our intelligent assets up to 1,000 kilometers apart."
Santos and Emerson collaborated to plan and equip the Brisbane remote operations center where management, engineers and planners can use real-time information from the intelligent fields to anticipate issues, collaborate, improve decisions, and take actions to maximize key performance indicators.
Emerson technologies for the Gladstone LNG project include the DeltaV digital automation system using Electronic Marshalling with CHARMs technology, as well as Rosemount measurement and analytical instruments, Fisher valves, Bettis actuators, Roxar multiphase meters, ROC remote operations controllers, and AMS Suite predictive maintenance software.
"We are excited about our work with Santos on this world-class remote operations center," said Sabee Mitra, president of Emerson Process Management Asia Pacific. "It showcases the integration of control and asset information that helps make GLNG a reliable, safe and efficient operation."
The GLNG project is on track to make its first LNG shipments in 2015. Initial capacity is planned to be three to four million tons annually.
About Emerson Process Management
Emerson Process Management, an Emerson business, is a leader in helping businesses automate their production, processing and distribution in the chemical, oil and gas, refining, pulp and paper, power, water and wastewater treatment, mining and metals, food and beverage, life sciences and other industries. The company combines superior products and technology with industry-specific engineering, consulting, project management and maintenance services. Its brands include PlantWeb, Syncade, DeltaV, Fisher, Bettis, Micro Motion, Rosemount, Daniel, Ovation, and AMS Suite.
Emerson (NYSE: EMR), based in St. Louis, Missouri (USA), is a global leader in bringing technology and engineering together to provide innovative solutions for customers in industrial, commercial, and consumer markets around the world. The company is comprised of five business segments: Process Management, Industrial Automation, Network Power, Climate Technologies, and Commercial & Residential Solutions. Sales in fiscal 2011 were $24.2 billion.
MORE CASE STUDIES
- Harnessing Green Energy
- Dynagen uses Netbiter to remotely monitor gensets & compressors
- VRTX uses Netbiter to remotely monitor water treatment systems
- Yorkshire Water installs 450 Chlorine Monitors
- QA Graphics Provides System Graphics for systems integrator
- ETAP controls power at cement plant in El Salvado
- ISA book says automation can prevent nuclear power plant disasters
- COPA-DATA researches bridging geoinformation and process data
- Lantronix Announces M2M Design Contest
- GE will resell PTC Manufacturing Process Management software
- Industrial Ethernet growing in China
- ISA-100 wireless standard receives resounding approval in IEC technical voting
- Technology convergence presents evolving workforce development challenges in combating cyberthreats
- The top four criteria for manufacturing software comparison
- Four key benefits of integrated safety control networks
- Thermocouples versus RTDs
- Reference recorders shake up old standards
- OPC Foundation open standards