- Concerning Fluid Handling Safety
- Safety does not come out of a box
- Improving alarm management with ISA-18.2: Part 1
- Do You Believe In Safety Factors?
- Nuclear occupational safety: the war on complacency
- Eliminating black boxes in safety applications
- Using smart field devices to improve safety system performance
- Schneider Electric's Integration of Invensys
- From LNG imports to exports: Process safety and regulatory challenges
- High-profile accidents refocus inspection and maintenance regimes
- Creative Ways to Cut Costs in Hazardous Areas
- Select the Right Process Safety System
- German cow flatulence causes cowshed explosion
- One missing, one injured in Chevron frack pad blast in southwestern Pennsylvania
- OSHA cites contractors after methane explosion at upstate New York water plant
- ACM Facility Safety Offers Free Process Safety Workshop
- Exida certifies Woodward LESV-flow sensor
- Hima-Sella to Supply Fire & Gas Detection System for Oil Platform
- ISA to conduct four training events
- exida Certifies Detcon FP-700 Combustible Gas Sensor
- Yokogawa Obtains ISASecure Certification for ProSafe-RS
- Gas detection: reliability drives purchasing decisions
- Oil platform fire and gas detection system
- Blast at Japanese chemical plant kills five
MARCH FEATURED PRODUCTS
Leine & Linde provide reliability data for their 500 and 800 series encoders in support of Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC.
Topics covered include importing Process Hazards Analysis data, performing SIL Determination studies using Risk Graph and Layers of Protection Analysis (LOPA), Safety Instrumented Function (SIF) Loop Verification/Validation, Safety Requirements Specifications, and Reporting.
ISA publishes a book that declares that another Chernobyl- or Fukushima-like catastrophe is inevitable unless nuclear power plants across the world adopt fully automated safety systems.
WHITE PAPERSview all
By Bill Sholette and Craig McIntyre, Endress+Hauser
Many manufacturers provide SIL-rated level instruments, but end user testing procedures for maintaining SIL ratings over the life of the instruments vary significantly. The end user is ultimately responsible for ensuring that partial and full proof tests are conducted to maintain the SIL rating of level instruments, but selection of the right instrument can ease compliance. Here’s how to do it.
By Moore Industries
This white paper explores the possibilities available to SIS designers of tank overfill protection systems when using a logic solver. It includes examples of system topographies and their associated safety calculations.
By Gerardo Vargas, Fluid Components International
White paper describes FCI’s ST100 thermal flow meter for rugged industrial process and plant applications, including service up to 850 ºF (454 ºC) and operation in hazardous areas.
CASE STUDIESview all
Safely drilling a well far below the ocean surface in extreme pressures demands strict safety procedures and rigorous design, construction and maintenance standards. Shell’s technical approach to the safety of wells is combined with extensive safety training of its well engineers.
South African Instrumentation & Control
A modernisation project at Russian Standard’s Buinsk distillery included a Metso DNA upgrade, replacing existing VME controllers, and a HIMA safety interlock system.
By Leon Berckenhoff, Emerson
An unnamed pipeline company installed a pipeline that will eventually be flowing produced natural gas that contains hydrogen sulfide (H2S). The pipeline is under a major South Texas Interstate highway. The company installed rapid closing valves on each side of the highway for emergency shutdown in the event of a gas leak or line break.
Gastech is the global meeting place for professionals working in the natural gas, LNG and hydrocarbons industry and brings you the very latest in project updates, developments, innovations and market evolution.
The core display categories at HANNOVER MESSE 2014 are industrial automation and IT, energy and environmental technologies, industrial supply, production engineering and services and research and development.
This year’s CSIA conference provides systems integrator members with educational and networking opportunities to help your company put on an Inspiring Performance for your customers.
This 1-day course is designed to deliver expert instruction on the technical content of a control systems hazards and operability study (CHAZOP) session and why they are performed. This includes understanding the principles behind each of the major methods (CHAZOP, What-if? and FMEA) and the fundamentals on CHAZOP methodology, noding, team composition and preparation for a CHAZOP session. The...
Over this 2-day workshop, participants will experience the safety lifecycle starting from the conceptual phase of a project right through to when it is operating. Beginning with a solid understanding of what risk looks like in a facility, students will experience a mock HAZOP exercise, SIL Determination (LOPA) workshop, a SIL Validation workshop and then look at ways of managing risk in real...
The TÜV Rheinland Process Hazards & Risk Analysis Workshop trains experienced safety engineers who wish to obtain a Functional Safety PH&RA (TÜV Rheinland) certificate verifying their expertise. The workshop has been reviewed and accepted by TÜV Rheinland, and passing a final exam at the end of the four-day course will earn the certificate. Price: $3,100 CDN