FEATURED ARTICLESin Process Safety
- Uncovering hidden operational risks
- Improving alarm management with ISA-18.2: Part 2
- ATEX - How To Prevent Explosions & Control Their Effects
- Real-time Monitoring Picks Up Steam
- Plant Safety: Leaks Don't Lie
- Dust Explosions Remain a Hot Topic
- Get To The Root Of Accidents
- Remote Pipeline Monitoring: Reducing Risk Of Third-Party Damage
- EN ISO 14119 and an alternative to escape release devices
- Compressed air safety on machines, and regulatory compliance
- 9 Tactics To Build A Best In Class Safety Program To Impact Your Bottom Line
- Preventing A Violation, Protecting Your Workers
NEWSin Process Safety
- MAC Solutions signs Intelligent Plant as integrator for oil & gas
- PR Electronics obtains EX approval for 5343 level transmitter
- Phoenix Contact mGuard obtains Class I, Division 2 approval
- Safety Network International certifies Hokuyo EWF SafetyNET
- VarTech Monitors certified for Hazardous Area Class 1 Division 2
- Inspire 2014 Conference Covers Process Safety
- Pneumatrol gains NEPSI approval for solenoids
- TÜV Rheinland Offers REACH Registration Services in U.S.
- Metso to control Neste Oil's high-octane gasoline plant
- SIS services to be the Largest Process Safety System Market
- German cow flatulence causes cowshed explosion
- One missing, one injured in Chevron frack pad blast in southwestern Pennsylvania
APRIL FEATURED PRODUCTS
PRODUCT NEWSin Process Safety
MEDIAin Process Safety
RESOURCESin Process Safety
The web site showcases ISA’s products, services, resources and technical information.
InTech Plus mobile app for the Apple iPad enables automation professionals to rapidly access, scan and digest a diverse range of technical and educational content.
Leine & Linde provide reliability data for their 500 and 800 series encoders in support of Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC.
WHITE PAPERSin Process Safety
By Moore Industries
This paper explores some of the possibilities available to the SIS designer of an overpressure protection system for the logic solver and to show examples of straightforward system topologies and their associated safety integrity level (SIL) calculations.
By Bill Sholette and Ricardo Chavez, Endress+Hauser
Leaking or overfilled tanks can cause environmental problems, contaminate drinking water and cost a company millions of dollars. Proper instrumentation, monitoring and control can prevent these problems. This white paper explains how.
By Bill Sholette and Craig McIntyre, Endress+Hauser
Many manufacturers provide SIL-rated level instruments, but end user testing procedures for maintaining SIL ratings over the life of the instruments vary significantly. The end user is ultimately responsible for ensuring that partial and full proof tests are conducted to maintain the SIL rating of level instruments, but selection of the right instrument can ease compliance. Here’s how to do it.
CASE STUDIESin Process Safety
Oil and Gas Engineer
By Adam Walker, Inspectahire Instrument Company
The Inspectahire team is using the Flir GF320 optical gas imaging camera for maintenance inspections and for all its hydrocarbon detection jobs, in hydrocarbon production plants or for the inspection of any material that uses hydrocarbon as a fuel.
Safely drilling a well far below the ocean surface in extreme pressures demands strict safety procedures and rigorous design, construction and maintenance standards. Shell’s technical approach to the safety of wells is combined with extensive safety training of its well engineers.
South African Instrumentation & Control
A modernisation project at Russian Standard’s Buinsk distillery included a Metso DNA upgrade, replacing existing VME controllers, and a HIMA safety interlock system.
EVENTSin Process Safety
This year’s CSIA conference provides systems integrator members with educational and networking opportunities to help your company put on an Inspiring Performance for your customers.
The agenda for this event is largely developed by customers, for customers with opportunities for knowledge sharing and networking. Join us as we discuss trends and new technologies impacting the automation industry.
RSTechED is a training event for end-users, systems integrators, partners and OEMs. With the latest Rockwell Automation products and technology solutions on display, participants will gain an in-depth understanding of how the Integrated Architecture is information-enabling global companies.
TRAININGin Process Safety
The TÜV Rheinland Functional Safety Engineering Certification Workshop trains experienced safety engineers who wish to obtain a TÜV Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS) certificate verifying their expertise. The workshop has been reviewed and accepted by TÜV Rheinland, and passing a final exam at the end of the five-day course will earn the certificate. Price: $4,300 CDN.
This 2-day workshop is comprised of combined classroom instruction and workshop exercises. The range of topics that will be covered in this interactive session include importing HAZOP data, performing SIL Determination studies using Risk Graph and LOPA, SIF Loop Verification, SRS, and Reporting using SafeGuard Profiler software, an IEC compliant Safety Integrity Level (SIL) Life Cycle tool. The...
The P&ID Engineering Drawing Interpretation Workshop provides a combination of classroom instruction and workshop exercises focused on critical documentation essential to the safe day-to-day operation of facilities (e.g., P&ID, PFD, Plot Plan, Electrical Area Classification, Piping Drawing, Isometric Drawing, Line List, Tie-In List and Shutdown Keys). Price: $1,495 CDN