Maxon introduces EPOS2 36/2 motion control motherboards
7/15/2011 - Maxon introduces EPOS2 36/2 motherboards for motion control applications. The EPOS2 36/2 motherboards make product development faster and easier, giving the designer either a standalone multi-axis motor controller or one that can be integrated into the final product as a sub board.
Functionalities of the EPOS 2 motor speed, torque and position controller with multi axis motherboard include:
- Speed and Position feed forward control. EPOS supported motion controlled acceleration and speed.
- PVT - Interpolated Position Mode. The controller is capable of synchronously running a coordinated multi-axis path dictated by interpolating points.
- Step and Direction. Implemented for replacing stepper motors with highly dynamic brushless DC motors.
- Point to Point motor position control. The CANopen Profile Position Mode moves the position of the motor from point A to point B. The motor position is relative to the absolute home position or the axis relative position.
- Torque Control. Sinusoidal motor control resulting in a minimum torque ripple.
- Electronic Gearing. Using an external encoder as a master, multiple motors can be synchronized with a user input software gearing factor.
- Motor Holding Brake Control.
- Position Compare and Position Mark. Save and sending of digital signal (Trigger and Capture)
- Dual Loop Speed and Position Control. Precision motor control with load mounted high resolution SSI absolute and incremental encoders.
Intelligent control applications often call for multi-axis solutions to meet demanding performance requirements. Configuring a control solution in a mother board / daughter board array is a convenient and proven method of addressing these types of applications. OEM style daughter boards, like Maxon’s EPOS2 36/2 drive/controller, offer excellent flexibility in design but require custom wiring solutions. This process is often too expensive and time consuming for designers who may not have the resources to undertake a complete development, especially with increasingly short proof-of-concept times. Starting with 11 nodes connected together via CAN-Open, the unique snap apart construction allows for quick multi-axis customization on a “single” board. Each node mates with an individual EPOS2 36/2 drive/controller and provides connection points. Standard cables are available in stock. Two digital inputs and one digital output are mapped on the board with an additional I/O expansion module as an option. USB and RS232 communication modules are available for users that don’t want to use CAN.
Red Lion announces ODVA CIP certification of N-Tron series of Ethernet switches
With embedded support for CIP, this industrial Ethernet switch portfolio provides communication for industrial markets that include manufacturing,...
Teledyne DALSA announces M4060, M4040, C4060 & C4040 modesl of Genie Nano camera series
Developed for industrial imaging applications, including intelligent traffic systems, printed circuit board inspection and metrology, these latest...
R. STAHL introduces ET 438 & MT-438 panel PCs
These HMIs are suitable for use in hazardous areas applications (Zone 1, 21 and 2, 22) such as managing and monitoring of drilling, purging, and...
Fluke introduces 368 FC & 369 FC leakage current clamps
The Fluke 368 FC and 369 FC leakage current clamps are designed to help industrial electricians and maintenance technicians identify, document,...
Pickering Interfaces announces Cable Design Toool
This graphics-based web tool allows users to create customized cable assemblies using detailed design characteristics including a selection of...
Keeping Industrial Automation Fit and Healthy
By Jonathan Wilkins, EU Automation
discusses how this new development helps bring legacy systems forward.
T&M Associates announces Ivica Cacic as Senior Automation Specialist
Cacic’s skillset will provide clients with solutions to many automation challenges associated with process optimization, system integration and...
Best Industrial Networking Practices of Machine Vision Systems
In order to provide smooth production processes with critical machine vision applications, building a rugged Ethernet network is...
ABB's Dodge CST drive system improves conveyor reliability at Norwegian mine
ABB’s Dodge controlled start transmission (CST) drive system is helping prevent repeated breakdowns of a 700 meter (m) conveyor at a Norwegian...