ABB announces launch of ABB Ability portfolio of digital solutions
March 15, 2017 - ABB commercially launched ABB Ability, its portfolio of digital solutions, at ABB Customer World in Houston.
With the commercial launch of more than 180 solutions and services, ABB is working to unlock value for customers in the Fourth Industrial Revolution. By combining ABB’s domain expertise with network connectivity and the latest digital technologies and innovations, ABB Ability creates solutions and services that are designed to solve real business problems and produce tangible business opportunities.
ABB Ability helps customers in utilities, industry, transport and infrastructure develop new processes and advance existing ones by providing insights and optimizing planning and controls for real-time operations. The results can then be fed into control systems to improve key metrics such as factory uptime, speed and yield.
Digital offerings provided by ABB Ability include performance management solutions for asset-intensive industries; control systems for process industries; remote monitoring services for robots, motors and machinery; and control solutions for buildings, electric-vehicle charging networks and offshore platforms. Some of the more specialized offerings address energy management for data centers and navigation optimization for maritime shipping fleets, among many others.
Customers who are already using the portfolio of digital solutions that are now part of ABB Ability include utilities, manufacturers and service providers, among them Shell Oil, CenterPoint Energy, Con Edison, BASF, Royal Caribbean, Cargill, Volvo, BMW and many others.
ABB Ability’s next-generation digital solutions and services are being developed and built on Microsoft’s leading Azure cloud platform, based on a strategic partnership with the software company.
Among the new ABB Ability innovations showcased in Houston are:
- ABB Ability System 800xA – One of the solutions provided by ABB Ability builds on the market-leading automation platform System 800xA. Select I/O, an addition to System 800xA, is a redundant, Ethernet-based, single- channel I/O system. It supports ABB’s project execution model, Intelligent Projects, which offers a range of efficiency improvements for automation projects. It uses standardized cabinets that allow installers to digitally marshal signals instead of using marshalling panels. Loop checks can be done before the rest of the system is delivered, minimizing the impact of late changes and allowing for project tasks to be executed in parallel.
- ABB Ability Asset Health Center – Among the first ABB Ability solutions to be launched on Azure is ABB’s asset performance management solution, Asset Health Center 3.0. Available since January 2017, it uses predictive and prescriptive analytics and customized models to identify and prioritize emerging maintenance needs based on probability of failure and asset criticality.
- ABB Ability Collaborative Operations – This solution, now being brought to scale across industries, helps customers collaborate more effectively. It allows experts to work together across organization boundaries, using the same data and analytics platforms. It focuses on such outcomes as improving productivity, reducing equipment failures, lowering the cost of asset maintenance and transforming overall business performance. This is done while maximizing security and protecting data, people and assets at every level of integration.
- ABB Ability Digital Substation – ABB’s digital substation provides customers in the utility sector with control and efficiency. The digital substation incorporates fiber optic current sensors and disconnecting circuit breakers to reduce maintenance requirements and the need for miles of conventional cabling. The result is that grid operators can make decisions based on comprehensive, up-to-the-moment information, while predictive algorithms can improve maintenance practices and asset management.
- ABB Ability Smart Sensor – This smart sensor solution connects low-voltage electric motors to the Industrial Internet, allowing them to be monitored continuously. The solution, which can be affixed to a motor, transmits data on vibration, temperature, loads and power consumption to the cloud. Alerts are generated as soon as any of the parameters deviates from the norm, allowing the operator to take preventive action before the motor malfunctions.
The list of solutions associated with ABB Ability continues, with such offerings as ABB Ability Asset Insight, ABB Ability Ellipse Enterprise Asset Management software, and the ABB Ability Data Center Automation infrastructure management software. With solutions like these and many more, ABB Ability will serve customers in utilities, industry, and transport and infrastructure. It will leverage the power of the digital revolution by enabling reduced maintenance costs, longer asset life, more efficient operations, reduced environmental impacts and improved worker safety.
ABB is a pioneering technology leader in electrification products, robotics and motion, industrial automation and power grids, serving customers in utilities, industry and transport & infrastructure globally. Continuing more than a 125-year history of innovation, ABB today is writing the future of industrial digitalization and driving the Energy and Fourth Industrial Revolutions. ABB operates in more than 100 countries with about 132,000 employees.
MORE INDUSTRY NEWS
ISA and Automation Federation expert Steve Mustard to present at Advanced Design and...
Mustard is featured in an online article—posted by PLASTICSTODAY—that promotes the presentation he will be giving next week at the Advanced...
On Robot to announce expansion into US market at Automate 2017
Officially launching to the North American market at Automate 2017 in April, On Robot’s two-finger RG2 grippers—available in both single and...
Helukabel announces completion of expanded German production plant
One of the project’s objectives was to consolidate global R&D activities into one location. The engineering center houses additional test and...
EU Horizon 2020 launches RobMoSys robotics software project
RobMoSys (Composable Models and Software for Robotics) is an €8 million Innovation Action involving 9 partners from 5 countries and will be...
SME Education Foundation partners with NASA Hunch to advance high school manufacturing education
This new collaboration is designed to attract and introduce more high school students to career opportunities in the industry and prepare them to...
Micro-Epsilon's displacement measurement sensors to be used in European telescope project
The European Southern Observatory based in Garching, Germany, is relying on displacement measurement systems from Micro-Epsilon for a project to...
Seeq to present with Bristol Myers Squibb and Devon Energy at OSIsoft User Conference
The presentations will speak of the benefits Seeq customers are realizing in the oil & gas, pharmaceutical, chemical, energy, mining, food and...
Insights on Digital Transformation
The reality is total adoption of IIoT is a ways off and users today need to start the digital transformation for their enterprise...
Rockwell Automation to showcase smart packaging, recognize Best Future Machines at interpack 2017
At interpack 2017, May 4 to 10 in Düsseldorf, Germany, visitors to the Rockwell Automation stand (hall 6/stand A61) will see the next generation...
Solving Food Manufacturing Labor Shortages Through Robotic Automation
By Maria Ferrante, PMMI
PMMI had a chance to speak about new technologies and trends in automation with Don Wickstrum, president and owner of...