- February 07, 2009
The digital factory offers a large database for factory planning. However difficulties arise when the real world does not correspond to the available digital representation, or when no digital representation is given at all. Augmented reality technology, which combines real and virtual data, becomes an interface between the real shop floor and the digital factory.
- at least one marker needs to reference the virtual content later on
- other markers can be used to represent interesting objects in the scene and possible points of collision- the creation of an examination protocol
- one per scene
- detailed description of the scene (sketch, used markers, object descriptions and numbers, position in the factory, offsets, relevant digital models …)- acquisition of image data
- image acquisition in correspondence with the examination protocol
- assurance of optimal image acquisition conditions (line of sight to relevant markers, illumination …)
- image acquisition from several perspectives to have sufficient data for later evaluation
- image acquisition in series for moving objectsEvaluationIn the evaluation phase the collected data is combined to concrete AR-scenes, which aare then loaded in Unifeye Planner and used for the evaluation of the identified problems. First, the model data is prepared, to assure correct development stage, model color for optimal recognition in the AR-scene and adequate model size for the evaluation. The image data is checked for illumination and a high-precision camera calibration is calculated. Finally, the referencing offsets need to be determined, to bring marker coordinate system and virtual model coordinate system in accordance.For the evaluation, AR-scenes are created for the different problem cases. Each scene consists of image data, virtual model data and a tracking configuration, which contains the marker information and the needed offsets.Using the Unifeye Planner toolbox, analysis can be performed by applying clipping planes, distance measures or different model views. Each scene setup can be stored separately to document every important step in the evaluation process. Finally, quality statements for important analysis locations can be calculated to ensure reliable and sufficient clearance.1.4 SummaryCurrently Unifeye Planner has been successfully applied to various planning scenarios in different industrial environments. Based on the Unifeye SDK, the system proves to be a helpful and valuable planning tool, as it allows verifying and validating planning processes in an early stage. Through the easy photo-based analysis approach, results can be achieved very quickly, offering a reliable visual decision base early in the planning process.2 Robot AR Sales ToolIn the field of product presentation metaio has developed offline aAugmented Rreality applications together with partners from various industries. One of the biggest advantages of augmented reality product presentation concepts is putting the product into the problem domain of the end user or customer and offering the user interaction with the product in a very intuitive way. The Robot AR Sales Tool is used to support the marketing and selling of industrial robots. A unique visualization option is given to the potential customer to help determine the perfect placement of the robots he is intending to buy. The only preparation step needed is placing a paper marker in the area the robots are to be installed, taking a photo of the scene and loading it into the application. Within the application, virtual models can be selected from a wide range of different robots. The chosen model will be superimposed into the photo in accurate scale and perspective. The user can then interact with the virtual robot in its real future environment in real time: move it around in all three dimensions, rotate it, adjust each of its arms independently and equip it with different tools.In addition, the possibility to display each robot’s working envelope enables the user to quickly judge the effectiveness of a robot’s particular positioning, as well as detect potential risks of robots being too close to each other or to existing objects.When satisfied with the arrangement of the robots, a screenshot of the final scene can be saved along with a PDF file including detailed information on each selected robot.About metaioAs a pioneer in the area of augmented reality technology, metaio develops software products for systems driven by visual interaction in both real and virtual worlds. Our "Unifeye" software platform not only lets you place 3D animations directly into live video streams, but also supports the seamless integration of images from the external user environment. Founded in February 2003, metaio has 45 employees at three locations by now. Headquarter is in Munich, subsidiary companies are metaio Inc. in San Francisco and metaio Asia in Seoul. At present, metaio operates worldwide for more than 140 renowned clients from various branches and domains. Among them are BMW, Toyota, Peugeot, EADS, Siemens, Bertelsmann, LEGO, KUKA and Volkswagen.
Did you enjoy this great article?
Check out our free e-newsletters to read more great articles..Subscribe