- October 15, 2019
- Dematic Corp.
October 15, 2019 —Intralogistics innovator Dematic announced the commercial availability of its micro-fulfillment solution, designed to help retailers across industries address increased consumer demand for rapid online order fulfillment. The Dematic solution will work to help customers with high throughput requirements with ecommerce ordering.
Integrating intelligent automation and human expertise, the Dematic Micro-Fulfillment solution is a combination of automated technology and Dematic iQ software. The software specifically enables customers to retain control of their data while providing integration with other inventory management, warehouse and ERP systems so that all stores, distribution centers and corporate offices are networked on the same platform.
With the ability build and install in 12 weeks, the Dematic Micro-Fulfillment solution is designed to be implemented close to the end consumer and is configured to fit into footprints as small as 10,000 sq. ft., such as in the back of a retail store, in a nearby dark store or urban fulfillment center.
The Dematic Micro-Fulfillment solution leverages technology like the Dematic Multishuttle and Goods-to-Person Picking solutions. Additional features that differentiate the Dematic Micro-Fulfillment solution from existing offerings include:
- Cold zone environment capabilities with ambient, chilled and frozen temperature zones
- A global footprint that enables implementation at scale, making it possible for customers to install multiple micro-fulfillment solutions at once, at locations worldwide
- 24x7x365 customer service with local operations in over 25 countries, supporting scale at speed
Dematic also announced a customer installation already in progress with Meijer, a U.S. retailer credited with pioneering the modern supercenter concept.
“We're driven to make shopping at Meijer easy and convenient, so micro-fulfilment is another way our company is leaning into the future of retail,” said Sid Handa, Director of Strategic Supply Chain Initiatives for Meijer. “This micro-fulfillment technology will allow us to maximize space in our stores, help us expand our online shopping options and ultimately keep pace with consumer demand for personalized shopping solutions that puts their shopping preferences first.”
Dematic’s configurable system can accommodate the Stock Keeping Unit (SKU) capacity and order volume required by today’s grocers and wholesalers, but it also has application for auto parts, consumer electronics, sporting goods, apparel, industrial supplies and department stores that are re-purposing retail store space.
The Dematic Micro-Fulfillment solution will address supply chain and distribution challenges now inherent to grocers as well as retailers of all sizes and across markets. This includes:
- Anchoring online and in-store fulfillment from the back of a retail store — creating a true backroom — or from nearby urban fulfillment centers and dark stores, all in much closer proximity to consumers than remote distribution centers.
- Optimizing omni-channel distribution by more effectively using existing real estate for online order assembly, allowing retail consumers to pick up online orders at the closest retail store or service center, or receive it using a delivery service to their home.