- February 12, 2018
February 12, 2018 -- Stratus Technologies, a specialist in continuous availability solutions for mission-critical applications, unveiled the Stratus ztC Edge at the ARC Industry Forum, taking place Feb. 12-15 in Orlando, Florida. ztC Edge is a zero-touch, fully virtualized and self-protecting computing platform, specifically designed for industrial edge environments. With built-in remote management and user-installable, ztC Edge is designed to reduce the IT burden for virtualized computing at the edge.
According to research from IDC, revenue of edge computing infrastructure will reach $3.4bn in 2021, growing at a CAGR of 22 percent, with Internet of Things (IoT) and IT/OT convergence driving most of this opportunity*. With this growth comes the need for more ways to ensure the availability of applications that run critical operations at the edge and collect and process this data. ztC Edge, with its built-in virtualization, self-protecting capabilities, and managed services, provides an industrial platform for running business-critical industrial applications outside of the data center in environments such as the manufacturing plant floor.
Key features of Stratus ztC Edge include:
- Built-in virtualization for up to three virtual machines (VMs), each running different industrial control or IoT applications;
- Automated application and data recovery;
- Automated site recovery;
- Hot-swappable nodes that can be wall- or DIN rail-mounted; and,
- Cloud-based health monitoring and built-in remote management services.
- Stratus ztC Edge comes equipped with an installation wizard and management utility. Furthermore, ztC Edge’s virtualization host software can be updated dynamically, while the system is running, without requiring a system reboot.
- Stratus ztC Edge is comprised of redundant nodes that act as a single system. With live migration of VMs, data replication, and redundant networking, it instantly provides protection for applications and data. The system continually monitors itself, evaluating its health and performance. If ztC Edge detects a potential central processing unit (CPU) or memory failure in one node, it proactively moves VMs from one node to the other ensuring application continuity.
- Stratus also offers cloud-based system health monitoring and management services, which ensure that applications on a customer’s ztC Edge systems are always running, with minimal customer effort. ztC Edge can be configured to continually monitor and send system-generated logs to Stratus over a secure network. Stratus will analyze logs, triage alerts, and predict failures to address potential issues before they occur. Depending on the service level chosen by the customer, Stratus will initiate corrective action (including the shipment of a spare part), conduct a thorough root cause analysis, or prepare a failure prevention plan.
About Stratus Technologies Stratus’ technologies work proactively to prevent instances of unplanned downtime both in the data center and at the edge. Working with both large and small businesses in a wide range of industries, Stratus has been focusing on operationally simple, continuous availability for more than 35 years.