- May 19, 2017
May 19, 2017 — Powercast Corporation announced RFID Sensor Tags which can include multiple sensors in a single tag, and provide a read range of 10 meters, or 32 feet. Temperature, humidity and light sensors are now available, with more sensor types planned for the future. Tags for sensing the RFID reader’s field are also available and use an on-board LED to show field strength.
Designed for industrial and manufacturing applications where it’s necessary to monitor data to ensure goods don’t fall outside of acceptable parameters, the ultrahigh frequency (UHF) RFID Sensor Tags enable environmental condition monitoring throughout the shipping journey, for example, of temperature-sensitive pharmaceuticals or perishable products packed with dry ice.
Powercast offers two versions of its high-function RFID Sensor Tags:
- The PCT100 enables battery-free wireless sensing and can read data within seconds.
- The PCT200 adds a battery with the ability to recharge using any standard RFID reader’s field, making the tag reusable without plugging in or changing batteries. With up to one month of battery life without recharging, the PCT200 provides data-logging capabilities while outside the RF field.
The RFID Sensor Tags use Powercast’s RF-harvesting technology where the embedded Powerharvester receiver can generate power purely from a standard RFID reader.
- EPC Class 1 Gen 2 compliant
- ISO/IEC 18000-6C compliant
- 10 meter read range
- RF range: -17dBm to +20dBm
- Frequency range: 860MHz to 960MHz
- “Find Tag” feature – enables locating one specific tag by illuminating on-board LED
- Temperature range: -40 to +85C
- RoHS compliant
The PCT100 and PCT200 can be configured with one, two or three sensors in any combination of temperature, humidity and light. The PCT100 can also be configured with an on-board LED for showing an RFID reader’s field strength and to verify that it is reading properly. Sample quantities with evaluation software are available from distributors Mouser, Arrow and Future Electronics.