- May 23, 2016
May 23, 2016 – Intersil Corporation a provider of power management and precision analog solutions, announced two single-channel DC/DC step-down power modules that deliver up to 95% efficiency in a 4.5mm x 7.5mm x 1.85mm footprint. The pin-compatible 5A ISL8205M and 3A ISL8202M provide point-of-load (POL) conversions for FPGAs, DSPs and MCUs in a wide range of home networking and high-end consumer products, as well as portable industrial equipment that use Li-ion batteries. The modules are complete power supplies that include a controller, MOSFETs, inductor and passive components inside an encapsulated module, simplifying system design.
With a height of 1.85mm, the ISL8205M and ISL8202M can be directly mounted on the backside of a PCB, freeing up valuable space for topside mounted components. Both devices support input voltages from 2.6V to 5.5V and offer adjustable output voltages as low as 0.6V. The pin compatibility allows engineers to start with a 3A power module and later migrate to the higher 5A output current, or design a power tree with multiple POL output rails. For battery-operated applications, the ISL8205M and ISL8202M offer efficiency and power saving features to extend battery life and support Energy Starcompliant products. Selectable light load efficiency, 100% duty cycle modes and 50µA quiescent current enable better efficiency and lower power consumption at light load.
Both power modules leverage Intersil’s patented technology and packaging to offer density and thermal dissipation performance. A copper lead-frame structure allows the modules to operate at full load over a wide temperature range. The ISL8205M and ISL8202M also provide several protection features that ensure safe operations under abnormal operating conditions, further enhancing their robustness and reliability.
Key Features and Specifications of ISL8205M and ISL8202M
- Single-channel 5A and single-channel 3A switching power supplies
- Pin compatibility
- Up to 95% efficiency
- Wide input voltage range from 2.6V to 5.5V
- Adjustable output as low as 0.6V with +/- 1.6% accuracy over line, load and temperature
- Adjustable switching frequency from 680kHz to 3.5MHz, with 1.8MHz default
- External clock signal synchronization up to 3.5MHz
- Selectable light-load efficiency mode and 100% duty cycle LDO mode extend battery life
- Dedicated enable pin and power-good flag simplify sequencing of system power rails
- Fault protections include input under-voltage lockout, over-temperature, over-current/short-circuit with hiccup mode, over-voltage and negative over-current
- Programmable soft-start reduces inrush current, and automatic output discharge ensures a soft stop