- February 06, 2015
- ACCES I/O Products, Inc
February 6, 2015 - ACCES I/O announces mPCIe-COM mini PCI Express (mPCIe) multi-port serial communication cards. These low-priced, PCI Express Mini cards feature a selection of 4 or 2-ports of software selectable RS-232, RS-422, and RS-485 asynchronous serial protocols on a port by port basis. The cards have been designed for use in harsh and rugged environments such as military and automation. The small size (just 50.95mm x 30mm) allows for maximum performance in applications where space is a valuable resource.
Each RS-232 port is simultaneously capable of supporting data communication rates up to 921.6 kbps. RS-422 and RS-485 modes support data communication speeds up to 3 Mbps. The cards provide ±15kV ESD protection on all signal pins to protect against costly damage due to electrostatic discharge. Existing serial peripherals can connect directly to industry standard DB9M connectors on the optional breakout cable accessory kits.
The mPCIe-COM cards were designed using type 16C950 UARTs and use 128-byte transmit/receive FIFO buffers to decrease CPU loading and protect against lost data in multitasking systems. New systems can continue to interface with legacy serial peripherals, yet benefit from the use of the high performance PCI Express bus. The cards are fully software compatible with current PCI and PCI Express 16550 type UART applications and allow users to maintain backward compatibility.
Available accessories include DB9 cable accessory kits as well as a DB9 screw terminal breakout adapter board for quick and easy connectivity.
Key features of the mPCIe-COM family include:
- PCI Express Mini Card form-factor (mPCIe) type F1, with latching I/O connectors
- 4 or 2-port serial communication cards with optional DB9M connectivity
- Software selectable RS-232, RS-422, and RS-485 protocols, per port stored in EEPROM
- High performance 16C950 class UARTs with 128-byte FIFO for each TX and RX
- Port-by-port field selectable termination for RS-422/485 applications
- Industrial operating temperature (-40°C to +85°C) and RoHS standard
- Supports data communication rates up to 3Mbps simultaneously, (RS-232 up to 921.6 kbps)
- Custom baud rates easily configured
- ±15kV ESD protection on all signal pins
- CTS, RTS, 9-bit data mode, and RS-485 full-duplex (4 wire) fully supported
- RS-232 only and RS-422/485 versions available
A complete driver support package is provided including an easy-to-use Windows terminal program for testing your COM ports. This simplifies the verification of proper COM port operation. The cards install as standard COM ports in all operating systems including DOS, Linux (including Mac OS X) and 32-bit and 64-bit Windows. Additional drivers may be available for a wide variety of operating systems including Windows CE. Prices range from $79 to $99, depending on model.