- May 30, 2014
May 30, 2014 - Belden released the Tofino Enforcer Software Development Kit (SDK), a toolkit that allows third parties to create next generation cyber security solutions using the company’s Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) technology. Tofino Enforcer modules developed with the SDK protect difficult-to-secure supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) and industrial control system (ICS) protocols and improve the overall reliability and safety of industrial systems. The Tofino Enforcer SDK offers Belden’s DPI technology to automation vendors and system integrators with software development expertise. Using the toolkit, developers can design custom loadable security modules (LSMs) for the wide variety of SCADA and ICS protocols currently in use.
- For major automation vendors, the Tofino Enforcer SDK enables them to secure their proprietary protocols with DPI technology, without having to disclose sensitive internal information. Companies can create a custom solution, controlling their own development cycle and the management of future updates.
- To add value for their customers, system integrators can create custom DPI modules to secure unusual SCADA protocols or devices. Instead of starting from scratch, they can take advantage of proven Tofino DPI firewall technology in any scenario or application.
The Tofino Enforcer technology provides superior security over what can be achieved with conventional firewall solutions by performing multi-level analysis and filtering of all SCADA messages. And unlike intrusion protection or detection (IPS/IDS) technologies, it offers very fast message forwarding for the time sensitive applications, like power distribution or manufacturing. The combination of in-depth content inspection with lightning-fast packet processing allows owners of control and SCADA systems to regulate network traffic to a level of detail that has never before been possible. For example, by using the Enforcer module for a particular SCADA protocol, engineers can block all attempts to write to a PLC or SCADA device, while still allowing data values to be rapidly accessed over the network. The result is improved network reliability, availability, and security for any SCADA, process control or safety system. The Tofino Enforcer SDK provides a pre-configured toolkit with documentation that guides third-party developers through the process of quickly creating the security functionality needed. All stages of the development process are managed internally, with Belden’s Tofino Security group providing support and final testing. Key features and benefits of the Tofino Enforcer SDK include:
- A common virtual machine (VM) development platform, with pre-configured layer 3 and layer 4 firewalls and logging systems.
- The ability to utilize patented Tofino Enforcer DPI technology that provides the fine-grained inspection of SCADA protocols necessary to secure industrial systems.
- Example source code—illustrating a Tofino Enforcer Module for a well-known protocol.
- Easy creation of additional LSMs.
- Easy-to-use debugging tools.