- June 24, 2014
June 24, 2014 – Intersil announced TW6872 HD-SDI video transmitter and TW6874 quad HD-SDI receiver with Dirac VC-2 mezzanine compression, an end-to-end solution enabling picture perfect, latency free video over extended cable distances. The devices are designed to conform to the SMPTE standards for SD, HD and 3G serial digital transmission and offer an unprecedented level of integration to enable reduced system costs for video surveillance cameras, industrial cameras, digital video recorders (DVRs) and video mixers and switches. HD-SDI usage in the security and industrial markets has been limited by cable reach and the high cost of cabling infrastructure. The TW6872 triple-rate HD-SDI video transmitter and TW6874 quad HD-SDI video receiver deliver the full benefits of HD quality without requiring expensive cabling upgrades. Offering robust operation in real-world installations, the TW6872/4 devices use SMPTE VC-2 based Dirac compression to enable HD video transmission at SD-SDI cable distances of 300+ meters. High quality, picture perfect and latency free video with extended reach is achieved through built-in features in the TW6872/4 devices that leverage both the latest standards and Intersil’s innovative circuit architecture. The TW6872 transmitter with low-jitter clocking (0.09 UIpp) and an integrated cable driver with pre-emphasis enhances output signal transitions to achieve superior cable reach. The TW6874 receiver with an adaptive equalizer compensates for frequency dependent cable attenuation, delivering superior cable reach in combination with the TW6872 or other HD-SDI transmitters. The high level of integration in both the TW6872 and TW6874 devices reduces development and manufacturing costs for camera makers so that HD cameras are more cost effective to bring to market. The TW6872 video transmitter integrates both an analog and digital audio input, eliminating the need for an external ADC. An integrated cable driver contributes to extending cable distance and eliminates the need for external components for compensation. An internal PRBS test pattern generator replaces expensive test equipment typically needed during camera manufacturing and installation. Video enhancement features in the TW6874 receiver enable auto adjustment of brightness, color, contrast and saturation at the DVR. The TW6872/4 end-to-end solution delivers HD quality at twice the distance of typical HD-SDI solutions and can offer customers significant cost savings by enabling the use of existing cables when upgrading or the use of lower cost cables in new installations. Features and Specifications
- Plug and play interoperability
- SMPTE 259M, 292 and 424 standard compliant for industry-wide interoperability
- HDcctv Alliance Version 1.0 SR capable
- Triple speed: 270 MHz, 1.5 Gbps, 3.0 Gbps
- Extended cable distances:
- TW6872 transmitter: supports low-jitter clocking and pre-emphasis for HD-SDI transmission and latency free, visually lossless Dirac compression to reduce HD data to SD-SDI data rates (270MHz)
- TW6874 quad receiver: integrated cable compensation – 3C2V, RG59, RG6 cabling; Dirac decoding of transmitted streams up to 300m on RG-59 and 180m on 3C2V
- Audio support:
- TW6872 transmitter: analog audio (stereo) or stereo I2S audio streams inserted in SDI data stream
- TW6874 receiver: 5 analog, 4 SDI audio signals and 1 digital audio stream (output). Cascade audio support.
Availability The TW6872 HD-SDI video transmitter is available in a LQFN76 (9x9mm) package for $7.00 USD in 1,000 unit quantities. An evaluation platform is also available, the TW6872-NA1-CR-EVALZ, for $995 USD. The TW6874 transmitter is $22.00 in 1,000 unit quantities. The TW6874-NA1-CR-EVALZ evaluation board is available now for $995 USD.