- February 20, 2018
February 20, 2018 — Stratus Technologies unveiled the Stratus ztC Edge at the ARC Industry Forum, taking place Feb. 12-15 in Orlando, Florida. The first product of Stratus’ edge vision and direction, ztC Edge is a zero-touch, virtualized and self- protecting computing platform, specifically designed for industrial edge environments. With built-in remote management and user-installable in less than an hour, ztC Edge is designed to reduce the IT burden for virtualized computing at the edge.
The influx of data from connected devices is driving the need for – and growth of – new edge computing infrastructure. According to research from IDC, revenue of edge computing infrastructure will reach $3.4bn in 2021, growing at a CAGR of 22 percent, with Internet of Things (IoT) and IT/OT convergence driving most of this opportunity*. With this growth comes the need for easier ways to ensure the availability of applications that run critical operations at the edge and collect and process this data. In fact, in a recent market report by ARC Advisory Group, more than 90 percent of those surveyed indicated that as edge computing grows, organizations will need a simplified edge infrastructure that can be remotely managed. ztC Edge, with its built-in virtualization, self-protecting capabilities, and managed services, provides an industrial platform for running business-critical industrial applications outside of the data center in environments such as the manufacturing plant floor.
- Built-in virtualization for up to three virtual machines (VM), each running different industrial control or IoT applications;
- Automated application and data recovery;
- Automated site recovery;
- Hot-swappable nodes that can be wall- or DIN rail-mounted; and,
- Cloud-based health monitoring and built-in remote management services.
- ztC Edge comes equipped with an installation wizard and management utility for operational technology (OT) staff to set up, configure and manage their virtual machines. Furthermore, ztC Edge’s virtualization host software can be updated dynamically, while the system is running, without requiring a system reboot.