- October 26, 2016
- Emerson Automation Solutions
October 26, 2016 -- Emerson introduced the expanded Plantweb digital ecosystem, a scalable portfolio of standards-based hardware, software, intelligent devices and services for securely implementing the Industrial Internet of Things (IoT) with measurable business performance improvement.
In addition to secure process control, safety and asset management systems, Plantweb now supports enterprise-wide operations with an expanded portfolio of Pervasive Sensing field instruments, the Secure First Mile family of software, gateways, security devices and services, the Plantweb Insight and Plantweb Advisor scalable suite of software applications, the AMS ARES Platform, and Microsoft-enabled, cloud-based remote expert Connected Services.
First introduced as the industry’s most advanced process control and safety network, Plantweb now harnesses the power of Industrial IoT to expand digital intelligence to the entire manufacturing enterprise, while also providing an architecture for on-premise applications. Plantweb provides a comprehensive framework to help manufacturers achieve Top Quartile performance in the areas of safety, reliability, production and energy. Top Quartile is defined as achieving operations and capital performance in the top 25 percent of peer companies.
Emerson’s Plantweb digital ecosystem includes several new products, services and partner-enabled solutions:
- Pervasive Sensing: Emerson is introducing a non-intrusive temperature sensor, as well as sensing technologies in the area of corrosion detection, medium voltage electrical protection, and hazardous gas leak detection, among others.
- Secure First Mile: Emerson’s Secure First Mile is a set of architectural approaches and designs that allow customers to selectively connect secure data from protected control and operation systems (OT) to operational performance applications in the cloud environment (IT). The portfolio, which includes a family of security services and robust, secure and flexible servers, gateways, and data diodes, ensures experts gain access to the information they need, whether on premise, in a private company cloud network or to a third-party service provider.
- Plantweb Insight Software: A portfolio of IT-friendly applications with analytics for monitoring asset health. Plantweb Insight applications can run independently of existing business systems and distributed control systems (DCS) and provide an entry point to Industrial IoT. Plantweb Insight applications can be deployed as a single asset class and scale to a wide range of assets. Virtual machine-based deployment makes Plantweb Insight a low IT requirement application.
- Plantweb Advisor Software: A rsuite of integrated analytical expert applications for asset health, performance modeling and facility-wide energy optimization. Health Advisor, Performance Advisor and Energy Advisor applications are scalable to thousands of assets across multiple facilities for enterprise-wide equipment and energy analytics. Plantweb Advisor applications can be run on premise, in a private company cloud network or through a third-party cloud services arrangement. The OSIsoft PI System’s open data infrastructure is used as a platform for these applications.
- AMS ARES Platform: A software asset management platform that aggregates the health of assets from multiple business systems, and pushes this data to relevant plant personnel depending on their roles and responsibility, either on desktop or mobile device.
- Always Mobile: Emerson extends the reach of Plantweb by adding mobility to the AMS and DeltaV process automation platforms. Experts can now have secure, mobile access to the information needed to perform their jobs, regardless of where they are. The DeltaV Mobile application allows users to monitor their process and receive notifications on user-selected process alarms. The AMS Trex Device Communicator provides maintenance technicians with a tool built to withstand harsh industrial environments in order to isolate and repair problems without interrupting production. AMS Asset View’s persona-based alert system ensures that reliability personnel receive the important and relevant alerts needed to ensure asset health critical to production.
- Connected Services: An Industrial IoT-enabled cloud services offering for real-time monitoring of important assets’ health, energy consumption and other operational applications. Emerson experts constantly monitor and report on asset and operational performance, prioritized repair and asset trending. The service is highly scalable, leverages existing technology investments and utilizes advanced security capabilities of Emerson and Microsoft.
- Microsoft Azure and IoT Cloud: Emerson has standardized on the cloud-based Microsoft Azure IoT Suite to enable Connected Services, expanding the Plantweb digital ecosystem to provide a secure, flexible platform for private cloud networks and third-party cloud service relationships.
Emerson is a global technology and engineering company providing innovative solutions for customers in industrial, commercial, and residential markets. Emerson Automation Solutions business helps process, hybrid, and discrete manufacturers maximize production, protect personnel and the environment while optimizing their energy and operating costs.